Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Did Cesar Millan Have to Hang the Husky?



"Last year I received a video showing Cesar Millan (aka the "dog whisperer") hanging a husky who was ill-behaved. This treatment of a sentient being named Shadow sickened me and I soon discovered that many others also were horrified by this so-called "training" session.  When I speak with dog trainers I mention this video and by and large most people agree that putting a noose around a dog's neck and yanking them off the ground and suspending them in air is unnecessarily cruel and abusive and that they would be really upset if this were done to their dog. So too would I. However, recently I was told by a few people that it was just fine to string up a dog who needed to be disciplined. I then asked them if they would do this to a child or another human being and they emphatically said "No, of course not." Well, then, why allow it to be done to a dog? It's also useful to ask if they would let someone do it to them before they did it or allowed it to be done to their or another dog? If not, why not?"
 By Marc Bekoff, Ph.D. in Animal Emotions / continue reading
  Share/Save/Bookmark

5 comments:

parlance said...

Slavenka, I just can't bring myself to watch the video. I have heard that Milan is very cruel.

Slavenka said...

I prefer Durban's method.

Anonymous said...

If you folks do a little research into Cesar's methods, your opinions might change. Placement of the lead is not under the dogs throat. Lower placement of a lead catches a dogs throat and can choke a dog. The higher placement, close to the ears, positions the lead just under the dogs jaw. This is not uncomfortable for the dog and provides better control for the human. I see people walking with their dogs pulling in front with a low leash, they are unintentionally choking their dogs! Staying ignorant to our dogs needs, now that is truly cruel. All the best :)

Anonymous said...

Yes, he is a little bit cruel but he trained the husky in the end. He helped a lot of people and dogs and he was wrong just ONE time. We must understand his mistake.....

Anonymous said...

I don.t know why he did this, but i still belive in Cesar. He helped a lot of dogs. People make mistakes.