Friday, November 18, 2011

Siniša Glavašević, one of the symbols of Vukovar

During the Battle of Vukovar, Glavašević was regularly reporting from the besieged city.
He is particularly remembered for a series of stories he had read to the listeners, that talked about basic human values.
A Story about the City

 I refrain from searching for all justice, truth, I refrain from attempts to let ideals arrange my personal life, I refrain from everything that until yesterday I considered essential for some good beginning or good end. I would possibly refrain from myself, but I cannot. Because who will remain if we renounce ourselves and flee into our fears? Who will inherit the city? Who will watch it for me, when I am gone, while I am searching in the trash heaps of the human spirit, while I am alone as it is staggering without myself, wounded, tired, feverish, while my eyes begin to wax before my personal defeat? Who will watch my city, my friends, who will carry Vukovar from the dark? There aren't shoulders stronger than mine or yours, and therefore if it isn't too much for you, if there still remains in you a youthful whisper, join us. Somebody has touched my parks, the benches that still have your names carved into them, that shadow that you gave it at the same moment, and received your first kiss - somebody has simply stolen it all, because how do you explain that not even a shadow remains? There isn't that store window in which you admired your personal joys, there isn't that movie theater in which you saw the saddest film, your past has been simply decimated and you have nothing. You must build anew. First your roots, your past, and then your present, and then if you still have the strength, invest in the future. Do not be alone in the future. Do not worry about the city, it has been with you all this time. Only hidden. So that the murderer cannot find it. The city - it is you.
 The above text is probably the most famous essay by Siniša Glavašević.

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: